Joella Richard Baker
Joella Richard Baker is our newest Triathlete Ambassador! With a plethora of experience and and achievements under her belt, it is no wonder why we asked Joella to be a part of our team. She has a passion for molding both raw talent and inexperienced individuals into the best that they can become, not only from athletic achievements but from a personal growth perspective.
In 2002, she was diagnosed with Lupus, and has since found that multi-sport is the best way for her to continue fueling that passion. She was the cover story in the Summer 2014 USA Triathlon Magazine, and that article centers around her philosophy that multi-sport is the best sport for athletes with Autoimmune Diseases like Lupus:
“It allows you to stay fit without compromising your immune system and body like running does.”
Her love for sports began early in life. She is inspired by her local mentor Tom Murray and credits Hot Harry Kirsch as her running idol.
But her husband Scott and son Zac are the ones who keep her going strong. She says that without them as her cheering squad she would have no reason to do what she does as a coach, national / international competitive multi-sport athlete, and Get Fit Families Founder & President.
Here accomplishments are impressive.
- Level 1 USAT Certified Coach
- USAT Certified Youth Coach
- USAT Team Member
- USA Cycling Coach
- Certified Yoga Instructor
- Certified Spinning Instructor
- ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
- Summer 2014 USA Triathlon Magazine Cover Story
- 5-Time USAT Team Member (World Championships: Las Vegas, Spain, France, 2015 Sweden)
- 5-Time Competitor in USAT National Championships
- Ironman Competitor, Age Group Winner at the 2008 Beach 2 Battleship Ironman
- Multi-Year Half-Ironman Competitor
- 200+ Triathlons
- 24 Marathons
- 4 Ultra-Marathons
- 1989 – First Marathon – Pittsburgh, PA
- Get Fit Families Adult and Youth Triathlon Teams
- Gregory’s Catholic School Cross Country and Track Teams
- Cranberry YMCA Dawn Crackers Running Club
- University of Pittsburgh, Master’s of Public Policy
- Duquesne University, B.A. Political Science
- Collegiate Student Athlete of the Year
- 4-Letter Division 1 Collegiate Athlete (Swimming, Cross Country, Indoor & Outdoor Track)
- Collegiate Scholarship Recipient
- Quigley Catholic High School Graduate
Because of the profound changes that Joella experienced in her quality of life with the chronic nature of Lupus, she soon discovered that her life’s purpose was to help others get fit. Joella coaches both adults and kids and wakes up “at the crack of dawn” to train with her athletes.
In fact, the Cranberry YMCA Dawn Crackers Running Club started out as a group of 20 athletes meeting at 5:30 a.m. to run.
Joella Baker believes that there is an athlete in all of us, and that’s why she started Get Fit Families. Joella serves as the President and Founder of this unique organization. The company serves a niche in the Greater Pittsburgh health and fitness market by providing accessible ways for families and individuals to achieve and maintain healthy lifestyles.
We are so very happy to have Joella on our team of COCOA ELITE Ambassadors!