When we first met Joella we knew that this was one very special person. One who constantly gives more than she takes. She has a passion for molding both raw talent and inexperienced individuals into the best that they can become. Not only from an athletic achievement but from a personal growth perspective.
With a longtime passion for being a competitive athlete, Joella credits her success to simply being good at putting three sports together. One of her underling principals can be summed up as follows:
“I believe that there is an athlete in all of us. I teach my athletes that the wisdom of the body is smarter than the self-perceived, limited barriers of the mind. I practice what I teach: Listen to your body, and you will always win.”
In 2002, she was diagnosed with Lupus, and has since found that multi-sport is the best way for her to continue fueling that passion. She was the cover story in the Summer 2014 USA Triathlon Magazine, and that article centers around her philosophy that multi-sport is the best sport for athletes with Autoimmune Diseases like Lupus:
“It allows you to stay fit without compromising your immune system and body like running does.”
Her love for sports began early in life. She is inspired by her local mentor Tom Murray and credits Hot Harry Kirsch as her running idol.
But her husband Scott and son Zac are the ones who keep her going strong. She says that without them as her cheering squad she would have no reason to do what she does as a coach, national / international competitive multi-sport athlete, and Get Fit Families Founder & President.
Here accomplishments are impressive.
- Level 1 USAT Certified Coach
- USAT Certified Youth Coach
- USAT Team Member
- USA Cycling Coach
- Certified Yoga Instructor
- Certified Spinning Instructor
- ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
- Summer 2014 USA Triathlon Magazine Cover Story
- 5-Time USAT Team Member (World Championships: Las Vegas, Spain, France, 2015 Sweden)
- 5-Time Competitor in USAT National Championships
- Ironman Competitor, Age Group Winner at the 2008 Beach 2 Battleship Ironman
- Multi-Year Half-Ironman Competitor
- 200+ Triathlons
- 24 Marathons
- 4 Ultra-Marathons
- 1989 – First Marathon – Pittsburgh, PA
- Get Fit Families Adult and Youth Triathlon Teams
- Gregory’s Catholic School Cross Country and Track Teams
- Cranberry YMCA Dawn Crackers Running Club
- University of Pittsburgh, Master’s of Public Policy
- Duquesne University, B.A. Political Science
- Collegiate Student Athlete of the Year
- 4-Letter Division 1 Collegiate Athlete (Swimming, Cross Country, Indoor & Outdoor Track)
- Collegiate Scholarship Recipient
- Quigley Catholic High School Graduate
Because of the profound changes that Joella experienced in her quality of life with the chronic nature of Lupus, she soon discovered that her life’s purpose was to help others get fit. Joella coaches both adults and kids and wakes up “at the crack of dawn” to train with her athletes.
In fact, the Cranberry YMCA Dawn Crackers Running Club started out as a group of 20 athletes meeting at 5:30 a.m. to run.
Joella Baker believes that there is an athlete in all of us, and that’s why she started Get Fit Families. Joella serves as the President and Founder of this unique organization. The company serves a niche in the Greater Pittsburgh health and fitness market by providing accessible ways for families and individuals to achieve and maintain healthy lifestyles.
Get Fit Families
The mission of Get Fit Families is to promote health and fitness through exercise, quality nutrition and creating good habits. Striving towards physical, mental and emotional fitness creates a landscape for a lifetime of success on and off of the playing field. Get Fit Families works with families and individuals to find balance in their lives by setting goals and achieving the healthy and active life style they’ve always wanted to live.
Get Fit Families offers one-on-one training, personalized training schedules, summer youth and triathlon sports camps, peer-to-peer coaching and support, community involvement, team training opportunities, group practice, mentoring programs, seminars and access to highly qualified health and fitness professionals.
Get Fit Families also organizes and hosts these events:
- Mighty Moraine Man Spring Sprint Triathlon
- The Mighty Moraine Man Triathlon Festival
- The Mini Moraine Man Youth Triathlon
- The Shamrock Shuffle
- The Grandparents Race
- The Reindeer Games
- and much more.
Other features and programs are:
- Trains athletes with Autoimmune Disease, including those with Lupus and other Autoimmune Illnesses
- Coaches youth athletes
- Specializing in training kids with emotional and mental disabilities
- Works with clients to Get Fit Again –
- Fitness training after surgery,
- Weight loss
- Charitable Contributions from Get Fit Families
Get Fit Families has a simple, yet highly effective, philosophy: get fit, stay fit, live well and be happy!! With Joella Richard Baker at the helm, instilling this message as a way of conduct is simplistically easy for her and it shows through all facets of the organization.
It was a very easy decision for us to sponsor Get Fit Families and we couldn’t be more proud to add Joella Baker as our Triathlete Ambassador.